Offensive Trades

What is an offensive trade?

If you intend doing any of the following you must be registered with Council as an offensive trade:

​Refuse collection​Flax pulping
​Bone crushing or boiling​Septic tank desludging
​Tallow melting​Dag crushing
​Fish processing​Wool scouring
​Blood, or offal, bone, hide, hoof or skin treating​Animal slaughter for other than human consumption
​Used bottle collection or storage​Textile manufacturing

Requirements for each business vary and Council's Environment Health Officer can provide you with further information and advice. For more information, contact Council on (03) 307 7700.

Download an Offensive Trades Licence application form

When your business is ready to start, Council's Environmental Health Officer carries out an inspection of your premises.  Once your application has been approved you will be issued a certificate of registration under the Health Act 1956. Business cannot start before you receive a certificate of registration.

Learn more about the Health Act 1956

Change of ownership

If you are taking over an existing business, you must notify us and complete a registration form.

You can apply to transfer an existing registration into your name, but we must receive your application within 14 days of you taking over the business.  After 14 days, the existing registration will lapse and you cannot transfer it into your name.

If the business is not registered, you will need to apply for a new registration.

Renew your registration

Licences need to be renewed every year.  If you are currently registered, you will automatically receive a renewal invoice.

Fees and charges

Learn more about our fees and charges