Ruapuna Domain Board
Gazetted: 1895, first members being C Jaine, J Jones, J M McLauchlan, J Doyle, W J Allen, T Bennett, F S Cordeux, E Taylor and E J Hall. First meeting 17th June 1895 at 7pm.
Historical background: In 1895 the first Ruapuna Domain Board were given charge of the 27 acre Reserve 3034, which sat in the Shepherd’s Bush Survey District.
Up through the late 1890s and early 1900s it seems the reserve was not entirely for public use, and instead was leased on improvement conditions.
This was reported in 1907, along with the current improvements on the grounds which were merely plantations and fencing.
In 1908, it was reported that the Ruapuna Domain had grown to 31 acres, 3 roods and 32 perches.
In 1911, G L Sandrey replaced E Taylor who had resigned from the board.
By that year, the Ruapuna Domain had a football field and cricket grounds which were leased to their respective clubs.
In 1918, a Mayfield v Ruapuna football match took place which resulted in a 3-0 win for Mayfield.
The following years up through to the late twenties saw activities such as swimming carnivals at the new baths and ladies’ hockey grow in popularity, and a pavilion was on the grounds as well.
The swimming carnivals held at the Ruapuna Domain grew in popularity and entertained guests such as Mr T D Burnett, MP.
In 1931 the Ruapuna Tennis Club applied for grants for new courts, but it was not until 1939 that concrete work began on the grounds for this purpose.
It is worth noting that in 1933, the Ruapuna Cemetery fell under the control of the County Council and it was decided that the Ruapuna Domain Board would make the most appropriate trustees.
Further notable events throughout the coming decades were the Ruapuna and Carew patriotic gymkhana, the war workers’ victory fair, and the Women’s Divison of Federated Farmers’ children’s Christmas party.
In 1945, Mr Thomas Bennett was recognised for his long service to the Board, having been associated with the Ruapuna Domain for fifty long years.
Past historic uses: as above.