banner image

Land Information Memorandum

​​​​What is a LIM?

A Land Information Memorandum (LIM) is a report prepared by the Council providing information from its records on matters related to the land and any buildings on a particular property.

What information does a LIM provide?

Section 44A of the Local Government Official Information and Meetings Act (or LGOIMA) sets out the matters to be included in a LIM. In summary, the information can include:

  • Special land features or characteristics such as erosion, subsidence, slippage, flooding and possible contamination
  • Information the Council holds on stormwater and sewerage drains
  • Rates (including any rates that may be owing)
  • Any consents, notices, orders or requisitions affecting the land or buildings. This includes details of building consents and resource consents from ADC*
  • District Plan zoning and any special provisions that relate to the land or buildings
  • Any other information notified to the Council by statutory organisations in terms of any other Act, or by network utility operators in relation to the Building Act

*Please note that Environment Canterbury also holds records about properties including Regional Council consents, wells, water resources, natural hazards, pests and contaminated land. You can find out more about how to access this information by visiting  the Environment Canterbury website.

Can I do the research myself?

Members of the public can request information from a property file. Information from the property file may not comprehensive and the most up to date.

Requests for information from property files must be made in advance and Council will make it available within three working days.

The information will usually be sent via email with files over 5mb to be provided on a USB drive for collection from the Council office. The standard research and retrieval fee (found in our fees and charges) will be charged for obtaining a property file. A minimum charge of half an hour will apply.

Learn more about our fees and charges

It is advisable to obtain a LIM even if you are buying an empty section. There may be issues which are not obvious that may restrict the further development or use of the land. The site may be filled or prone to flooding. There may be a designation over the land or a protected tree. Development Contributions may be payable for water and sewerage connections when you apply for building consent. These are some examples of issues you should be aware of before purchasing.

You will need to complete a LIM Application Form and return it to us.

Download a LIM ​Application form​ or apply for a LIM online.

Council will process your LIM request as quickly as possible. We always look to ensure all applications are processed within the required 10 working days so this should be the longest you need to wait.