banner image


During construction, you will need to arrange for Council building officers to inspect the work that has been done to ensure it complies with the approved consented documents and conditions of your building consent. Inspections cover a range of building and plumbing areas including:

Foundations, retaining walls and slabs

Plumbing and drainage (underfloor and foulwater stormwater)

Waterproofing on showers, decks, and roofs
Building wrap, flashings and claddingSwimming Pool barriers

Exterior cladding/Half high

​Sub floor framing​Postline - prestop​Demolition
​Prepour slab​Effluent systems​Marquees
Framing, including bracing and airsealsSolid fuel fireplaces​Final inspection

The inspections required for your project are listed in the building consent documentation issued by the Council. You must keep the stamped copy of your approved building consent on the construction site so inspection officers can check against it.

​The Ashburton Disctrict Council have colaborated with other Councils in the south island to provide a more unified approach when undertaking residential inspections throughout the regions.

The following link will take you to the Christchurch City Councils website, where you will find an updated guide developed by representatives from Ashburton, Christchurch City, Hurunui, Selwyn and Waimakariri District Councils.  The guide​ shows different residential inspection types and expands out to show the main aspects to be checked.

You can book an inspection:

  • Online
  • By phoning Council's Customer Services team on  (03) 307 7700
  • Email

Appointment times available are Monday to Friday 9am – 12.00pm and 1.00pm – 3.00pm. Please book your inspection at least 2 working days in advance.

  • Building consent number
  • Address of property where the building work is being done
  • Type of inspection required
  • Name and phone number of site contact person
  • LBP name and rego number if required

Before your inspection can take place, we will require a Building Location Certificate if it has been requested on your issued Form 5

In the case of restricted building work, you need to advise the Council of the licensed building practitioners (LBP) who have been involved in the work. Failure to do this may mean the inspector is unable to carry out the inspection and you may still be charged.

For an inspection to take place the approved building consent documentation is required to be on site. If the premises is occupied, it is preferred that there be a representative on site at the time of inspection.

The inspector may refuse to visit or carry out an inspection if he deems the site unsafe.

N.B: If we arrive on site and the documentation is not available we will not undertake the inspection. We may however bill you for our visit.

Notification of the inspection outcome will be sent to the primary contact.

If any building or plumbing work does not match the approved building consent documents or meet building code performance standards the inspection will fail.  You will need to rectify the non-compliant work and then request a booking for re-inspection.  Continuation of some building work may be allowed by the inspector, if sufficient evidence can be provided upon request.  In cases of continuous non-compliance the Council may issue a Notice to Fix .

Code Compliance Certificate

A completed application for Code Compliance Certificate must be submitted to Council following a passed Final inspection.  This is a mandatory application to enable Council to issue a Code Compliance Certificate.  The CCC application form is issued with your approved building consent documents.  You can also find this application form on our applications page.