COVID-19 Business Support
Canterbury Employers Chamber of Commerce
The Canterbury Employers Chamber of Commerce (CECC) has a fully funded COVID-19 Business Helpline is available for all businesses in the South Island - so please do contact them if you need help: 0800 50 50 96.
We would encourage you to also regularly check the CECC COVID resources webpage
Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment
The Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE) has set up a call centre to specifically support queries related to Alert Level 4 businesses and services. This centre is contactable by phoning 0800 424 946
The Government have a range of financial supports available for businesses.
Work and Income – Wage Subsidy | Short Term Absence Payment | Leave Support Scheme
Inland Revenue - Resurgence Support Payment
Connected - Finding staff, training and retraining, business support
- COVID-19 alert levels and the workplace – Important guidance for employees, employers and businesses from Employment New Zealand.
- Employment New Zealand - The leading source of information on employment rights and responsibilities for employers and employees in New Zealand.
For general employment rights and responsibilities information
Employment New Zealand has a large range of resources for employees and employers.
Minimum rights of employees - The minimum rights of an employee are the responsibility of the employer.
- Employment learning modules (8 languages)
- Quick guide: Know your employment rights (20 languages)
- Minimum employment rights and responsibilities booklet (15 languages)
- Family violence leave guide (10 languages)
- Employment mediation quick guide (7 languages).
For all questions please in the first instance, visit www.employment.govt.nz for a wealth of information, tools and resources.
Wellbeing Resources and Support
It is normal to feel anxious or stressed in uncertain times. Below are links to help, resources and information to support mental health and wellbeing at this time:
- For support with anxiety, distress or mental wellbeing, you can call or text 1737 to talk with a trained counsellor for free, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Covid19.govt.nz has a range of resources to support mental health and wellbeing, and where to go for help here
- Jimi Hunt’s Basic Reset Programme here
- Raise, leading provider of employee support programme has a great range of free resources for employers and employees: mental health and wellbeing resource’s for supporting yourself, staff and whanau through COVID-19 here – along with additional mental health and wellbeing resources here
Join over 270 local businesses who have listed on our business directory - Open For Business and list your services available in Covid-19 levels as well as jobs available.
Economic Development Webinar Series
In 2020 the Council's Economic Development team hosted a webinar series with local businesses to help you navigate through the lockdown and provide tips and information on how to adapt your business. The topics discussed include: mental wellbeing, online systems for business, cashflow and continuity, thriving in governance, employment law, health and safety, immigration, social welfare, migrant worker support, digital marketing and events.
This series is available to view on the Ashburton District Council You Tube channel.