Eligible to get a rates rebate? The deadline is approaching fast, so get your application in!

Published: 3 June 2024

Council's Customer Services staff are encouraging people in low income households to check if they qualify for a rates rebates, as the deadline for this financial year is fast approaching.

Many households in the district are eligible for increased support to pay their council rates, more than 997 people have applied since last July. In the last financial year 877 residential and 80 retirement village rebate applications were approved.

If a couple is receiving superannuation of $42,500 (gross) and it is their only household income, they qualify for a rebate. If their rates are $3800, the rebate is $750; if their rates are $3200, the rebate is $476; if their rates are $2900, the rebate is $276 and if their rates are $2700, the rebate is $143.

Business Support Group Manager Leanne Macdonald said people had to apply for the rebate every year.

“Often people’s circumstances change, and the number of people living in a household changes, so that is why the rates rebate is an annual process. Residents can call our Customer Services team on 307-7700 to book an appointment, or pop in and see them at the counter.”

The Rates Rebate Scheme is run by Government and provides a partial refund to ease rates bills for people on lower incomes. It provides financial relief for those who own their own home and live in that home.

It includes people living in retirement villages, but does not apply to rental or holiday homes or commercial premises.

Mrs Macdonald said Customer Services staff are available to help ratepayers work out if they qualified for a full or partial rebate.

“We will accept rates rebate applications for this current financial year right up until 30 June 2024, so act now if you want to apply for this year”

As part of the rebate application process, people need to prove their income level with a summary of earnings from the IRD. It must relate to the period 1 April 2022 to 31 March 2023.

You must be:

* The person who pays the rates on the property that’s your home

* Living in your home

* Listed as the ratepayer in Council’s rating information database

You cannot apply if:

* Your property is mainly used for commercial activities, such as farming or business

* Your property is a rental property or holiday home

* Most retirement village residents, including people who live under a licence to occupy agreement, can apply for a rates rebate

Share this article

More News

View all news