Dog Owner Information


​​View our dog ownership brochure.
View our Dog Control newsletter.


You are legally required to have your dog micro-chipped. You are required to provide Council with your dog's microchip details.  

Working dogs kept solely for driving herd stock are exempt from the requirement to be micro-chipped.

Working dogs

Working dogs do not need to be micro-chipped but you will have to declare it to Council.

Download a Working Dog Declaration form

Three plus dogs permit

You need to apply to the Council for a permit if you want to have more than two dogs in an urban-zoned area of the district. When applying for a permit, you will need:

  • A completed application form
  • An application fee of $41 (It costs $21 to renew your permit thereafter)
  • A boundary neighbours agreement
  • Good fencing
  • Kennelling suitable for the size and number of dogs you own
  • No recent history of complaints (e.g. excessive barking, roaming dogs, smells from dogs)

All dogs must be registered and any changes must be notified to Council.

Download a 3+ Dog Permit application form

Learn more in our Dog Control Bylaw

Learn more in our Dog Control Policy

Impounding and infringements

If you see a dog wandering​ or want to make a noise complaint, get in touch with Council right away on
03 307 7700 (​this number is available 24 hours, 7 days a week). 

Calls will be dispatched to Animal Control Services and actioned as soon as possible. 

Dogs caught wandering will be impounded and the owner charged an impounding fee for release and a sustenance fee for each day the dog is impounded.

If a dog owner fails to comply with Dog Control regulations they may be issued with an infringement notice and fined.

View the schedule of offences and fees

Related websites and information

Welfare​ - SPCA​

Welfare regulations and code of conduct
information​ - 

Creating a link to our communities - NZIAM​

Welfare and Animal Welfare (Production and
Animals)​ - 
Civil Defence​

Page reviewed: 14 Mar 2019 3:36pm