All public camping grounds are closed until further notice, due to COVID-19 elevated alert level
The Freedom Camping Act 2011 enables freedom camping in the Ashburton District, as long as it adheres to bylaws and the Department of Conservations conservation areas. Read the relevant bylaws and conservation areas.
There are many scenic locations for freedom camping within the Ashburton District from the heart of rural farmland to rugged coastal stretches. Although many are only suited for self-contained units, information on camp facilities including toilets can be found on the Council campgrounds page.
There are campervan dump sites provided in our District for you to dispose of your rubbish. Some are commercial ventures and involve a charge. These can be found at:
- Rakaia River Holiday Park, 16 Main South Road, Rakaia
- Coronation Holiday Park, 780 East Street, Ashburton
- Ashburton, East Street, opposite the Mobil Service Station
- Methven recycling drop–off facility, corner of Methven Chertsey Road and Line Road, Methven
- Mt Somers Domain, Hoods Road, Mt Somers
Some washing detergents and soaps can be toxic to aquatic wildlife so please do not discharge waste water from washing activities in or near streams, rivers or the ocean.
We want to ensure access to the landscape and sights Ashburton District offers, and with your help, we can ensure these areas are protected and able to be enjoyed by future campers.