Interested in becoming a Youth Leader?
Want to make an impact in your community?
Passionate about youth voices being heard?
Kick-start your leadership ambitions and add to your CV by becoming a Youth Leader.
The programme is open to those living in the Ashburton District between the ages of 12 and 24. As a Youth Leader, you will gain knowledge, insight, experience and contacts right here in the Ashburton District.
Our vision is to have empowered and engaged young people, working towards a thriving community.
• You will have an active role in delivering youth-focused events and activities to the local community.
• You will increase awareness of youth issues, service, facilities and the Ashburton Youth Council.
• We will support you through mentoring, training and skill development.
The Ashburton Youth Council aims to:
• Provide a forum and engage young people in Ashburton District Council’s decision-making processes
• Increase the Council’s understanding of young people’s perspectives and needs
Applications for 2021 will open in October 2020 and close in December 2020. Places are limited, so if you are interested in becoming a candidate get your application in!
Eligibility and selection criteria
Places in the Ashburton Youth Council are limited to twelve or less. Youth Leaders will be selected by a panel using the following criteria:
• Aged between 12 and 24 years
• Living in the Ashburton District
• Passionate about youth voices being heard
• Available for monthly meetings, held on the first Wednesday of every month from 4.00pm to 6.00pm
• Can commit to approximately two to five volunteer hours per month
• Nominated by a current Mayor, Councillor, Methven Community Board members, Rakaia Community Association member, Member of Parliament
• Applications must include a letter of support from the nominator
• Applications must include a copy of your current C.V.