"When too many people begin upping their consumption, the water in the reservoir can start emptying quicker than the pump can replenish it,” Council Infrastructure Services Group Manager Neil McCann says.
“Ultimately this can disrupt the water service for some residents and in some cases the supply risks running out of water.
"Please ensure there is enough water for everyone by following the restrictions and being water-wise."
- Choose plants for your garden that are more resistant to dry conditions.
- Use drip line irrigation and soaker hoses. Spray irrigation can lose a lot of water to evaporation and runoff.
- Water early in the morning and late in the evening to maximise absorption and reduce waste.
- Use a good quality mulch. It can save about 70 per cent of water being lost to evaporation.
- Let the lawn go brown – it won’t die completely but will spring back when it rains again.
- Position your sprinkler so that it isn’t watering the road or footpath.
- Always use a timer to remind you to turn the sprinkler off.
- Water at the coolest times of the day - early in the morning or later in the evening to maximise absorption.
- Grow your grass a little longer in summer as taller grass holds moisture better and will stay greener for longer.