Our Roading Operation Standards
The Ashburton District Council sets the standards that our roads are maintained to and administers the contracts let to achieve these standards.
These cover a wide range of work that includes:
· Maintain roads to a good standard and restore them to nationally accepted standards
· Provision and maintenance of road signage such as intersection signs, traffic signals and motorist warnings for road identification and driver assistance
· Lighting on urban streets and on a number of rural intersections
· Road marking to assist drivers with traffic flow directions
· Accident investigations and identifying and completing improvements
· Emergency activity on roads such as closure during fire hazard problems, reopening roads after snow events and gritting roads during periods of frost
· Repair and replacement of road signs
Council has issued a number of contracts to complete maintenance work of our roads to required standards. The level of usage on all district roads is increasing and some areas are showing a marked increase in traffic and heavy vehicles that is putting considerable pressure on the network to remain at a satisfactory standard.
All roads and bridges in the district are regularly inspected to monitor their condition and the effectiveness of the maintenance work. Bridges are structurally inspected by a qualified consultant on a three year cycle.