Elderly Persons Housing
The Ashburton District Council owns and maintains 112 units available for people over 60 years of age, who meet the criteria that Council has in place.
These are in seven complexes spread throughout Ashburton, Methven and Rakaia, and they provide comfortable, self-contained, one-bedroom units, enjoying privacy and independence, while having contact with neighbours. Council looks after the lawns in these housing complexes.
Council operates the units as a self funding activity and as such attracts no general rate assistance.
Criteria for a Unit as of 15 March 2012
To qualify for retirement housing, you should:
1. Be eligible for Government National Superannuation, OR aged 60 or over and be in receipt of Veterans Pension, Widows Benefit or Invalids Benefit.
2. Not be in full time employment/business (not more than 30 hours per week)
3. Be able to care for themselves independently.
4. Show a housing need which cannot be met adequately elsewhere.
5. Have assets totalling below (includes other real estate) $50,000 (single), $80,000 (coupled).
6. Applications will be accepted and considered in priority from the following:
· Residents of Ashburton district
· Those with family in the Ashburton district
7. Applicants who do not meet all the criteria may still be considered by the allocation sub-committee, based on their individual social and personal needs.
8. When considering all applications for housing, account must be taken of social and environmental needs of others.
9. In the case of a couple, one member must meet all of the qualifying criteria.
Please note: The only permitted animals on the property is one cat, one small caged bird or fish. No dogs are permitted.
To Apply for Retirement Housing
Fill in our Retirement Housing Application Form and contact our Property Department:
Ashburton District Council
Baring Square East
PO Box 94
Phone: 03 307 7700