'enabling its community to achieve social and economic growth in a quality living environment"
To achieve the mission statement the Ashburton District Council makes the following commitment to the community:
1. The Council will act on behalf of the community
2. The Council will consult with the community to assist with informed decision making
3. The Council will recognise the national responsibilities of Central Government for education, health and welfare
4. The Council will work with other Councils to jointly achieve benefits for all
5. The Council will recognise the worth of organisations locally and regionally with similar aims to the Council
6. The Council will recognise and welcome the strong role taken in the community by volunteers and voluntary organisations.
The Council agrees with the principle that functions should be carried out as close to the individuals and communities directly concerned as possible
7. The Council will look actively for better, more customer focused ways of carrying out its roles
8. The Council is committed to achieving equity